Learning poetry

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Communicating

Conversation

Bob : I thought I’d call and touch base. How are the party plans going ?
Gloria : Well, just between you and me, there’s a problem. It’s Matt.
I think he got wind of the surprise party.
Bob : How ?
Gloria : I don’t know. Somebody who’s in the loop may have let him in on it, I’ll see him later and try to find out. I won’t beat around the bush. I’ll say, ″What are you doing for your birthday ?″ I’ll be in touch as soon as I’ve seen him.

*********************************************
Talking and telling

Touche base (with someone) : To talk to someone briefly. 
Btween you and me : Private
Open up : To talk about things freely and honestly.

Let someone in on something : To tell someone a secret.
Compare notes : To share opinions with someone.

Pick up on something : To continue to talk about something that someone said earlier
in the conversation.
Beat around the bush : To avoid talking about something by talking about other things.
Bend someone’s ear : To talk to someone for a long time.
Get through (to somebody) : To reach someone by phone.

*********************************************

Listening to or trying to get someone to talk

Draw someone out : To try to make someonetalk about his or her feelings.
Lend an ear (to someone) : To listen to someone.

*********************************************

Not talking

Bite your tongue / Hold your tongue : To stop yourself from speaking, usually because it might cause problems if you spoke.
Calm up : To refuse to talk.

*********************************************

Receiving information

Get wind of something : to find out about something that was secret or not known before.
In touch (with someone) : communicating with that person.
In the loop : included in the sharing of information .

0 commentaires:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
english eloquence tag.